11 Effective Home Remedies for Stress – cavb.com
Stress is a term to which many are familiar these days. The modern era is an era of a predominantly fast paced life. Every one is in a hurry to reach the peak of success in all spheres of life, beating contenders and making the most of the time at hand. The craze for luxury and wealth has made the situation worse. Such a rat race marked with ambition to squeeze as many as achievements possible within every minute, has propelled one in to the gall mouth of a problem called stress which is detrimental to the emotional, psychological and also physical health of a human being.
The term stress in the context of biology and psychology, was coined in the 1930's, but has become more common in the present times. When one becomes a victim of stress, he or she fails to handle well the emotional and physical threats. When difficult or challenging situations arise in life, the brain starts releasing cortisone and adrenalin, the two major stress hormones. These hormones elevate blood pressure and prepare the body to cope with the situation. If one fails to counter the situation, the stress hormones remain unreleased in blood for a long period, resulting in physical and mental complications. Stress is relative in nature and can attack all age groups. It may be job related, family and relationship oriented and many more other types. Prolonged period of stress may take a serious toll on the health of the individual by exhausting the immune system
Causes of Stress or Stressors
1. General causes: Physical, social or financial threat, fear and its imagined consequences, feeling of uncertainty, cognitive dissonance or the failure to do as we wish or dream for.
2. Life causes: Death of loved one, soaring responsibilities, environmental change, paucity of money or owed or investing it, argument with any one, sexual dissatisfaction, lack of sleep, new work hours, health related stressors like injury, illness or pregnancy , qualms of conscience after a crime, self abuse etc
3. Work related stressors: Demands of job, relationship with colleges etc.
Symptoms of Stress
Symptoms of stress may be emotional, behavioral, physical or cognitive. Some symptoms are as follows:
4. Unnecessary and excessive caring
5. Poor judgment
6. A negative outlook towards every thing
8. Feeling of loneliness and depression
10. Constipation or dirrhea
11. Eating too much or skipping meals
12. Sleeping too much or suffering from insomnia
15. Chest pain
16. Neck pain
17. Rapid heart beat
18. Excessive sweating
19. Social withdrawal
20. Nicotine, drug or alcohol dependence
21. Neglecting or shirking duties or responsibilities
22. Nervous habits like nail biting, walking up and down.
Home Remedies for Stress
1. Yoghurt is a very good remedy for stress. It can deal very well with stress induced insomnia and headaches.
2. Including sprouts in diet can manage stress well.
3. One may take a cup of tea made by boiling one teaspoon dried sage leaves in a cup of water, and sweeten the tea with honey. This would relieve stress.
4. Drinking a cup of hot milk mixed with honey and cinnamon calms a stressed mind.
5. One may boil few rose petals in a cup of water, strain and add sugar and drink the mixture to get relief from stress.
6. Chewing of basil leaves can relieve stress because basil is rich in adaptogen, an anti stress agent.
7. Alfalfa and sunflower seeds can treat stress effectively.
8. Sniffing ajwain seeds can relieve stress.
9. Hot water bath and pouring few drops of essential oil in to the bath water can relax both mind and body. This is an effective home remedy for stress.
10. Brisk walk for at least 45 minutes can help one cope with stress.
11. Practicing yogic exercises, breathing exercises and meditation can help one deal with stress.